20 min by walk
The Moscow zoo was founded in 1864 by professor-biologists from the Moscow State University. In 1919, the zoo was nationalized and the ownership was transferred to the city of Moscow and has remained under Moscow’s control ever since. In 1990, the zoo was renovated. Notable additions include a new main entrance in the shape of a large rock castle, and a footbridge that connected the old and new properties of the zoo. New exhibits were opened including a sea aquarium, an aviary, a creatures of the night exhibit, a sea lion exhibit and a section aimed at children. Waterfalls and streams were added throughout to give the zoo a more natural feeling. The Moscow zoo has over 8800 animals representing about 1150 species and covers an area of about 21.5 hectares (53 acres).