15 min by walk
The Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed, commonly known as St. Basil’s Cathedral is a former church in Red Square in Moscow. The building, now a museum, was built from 1555–61 on orders from Ivan the Terrible and commemorates the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan. Legend held that Ivan blinded the architect of the church so that he could not re-create the masterpiece elsewhere. The original building contained eight side churches arranged around the ninth, central church of Intercession; the tenth church was erected in 1588 over the grave of venerated local saint Vasily (Basil).